Around The World Tour / Davy Jones Day

Lost a good mate today, but refuse to be morbid, because I know Davy Jones would want us to celebrate his great energy and talent.

Anyone got pictures of me and Davy Jones so we can add them to this post?

This one is me and Davy on MY TWO DADS where I played his manager (actor job). Davy played himself in what I think is one of his best ever performances. I didn’t charge him for my managerial advice. He was a great talent. One of the best from my generation. I will miss his friendship and all the laughs he gave me when we were the Morecambe and Wise of Rock!

P.S.I am on a plane to London to start the UK tour!

Nice pic got sent . See if you can recognize the folks with COUSIN BRUCIE

1. Valerie Jenner March 9, 2012 at 5:57 AM

I was stunned when I heard the news on the radio that Davy had passed away; I just could not believe it. The Monkees played a large part in my childhood growing up in the 1960′s and I was fortunate enough to see them perform on three occasions in England – as a duo, a trio and the original quartet. I can truly say that The Monkees had a song which suited the emotion I was experiencing that particular day. Davy may be gone but he will never be forgotten as his music lives on. RIP Davy

2. toni March 7, 2012 at 11:17 PM

So sorry for the loss of your dear friend.The CD – have now of the idol’s tours means even more to me now.We miss the tours of you with The Monkee’s at the Puyallup Fair.

3. Virginia Pritchett March 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I would also like to thank Peter for the nice words about Davy Jones, Many fans such as myself are genuinely heartbroken about his death. I had met him after concerts several times, as i have Peter also. i was at a teen idol concert in Shreveport , Louisiana where Davy, Peter, and Bobby Sherman performed. It was always so much fun. I mourn Davy as a regular person, not just the celebrity the girls used to scream over. Or rather, always screamed over. All i have to sat is i know God is taking good care of Davy. In my remembrance of Davy i say , ” Goodnight, Cutie. See you on the other side. You were really something.” ‘-Love, Virginia, a fan in Texas

4. Suzanora March 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

No pix, but here’s the link to your interview on krth Thursday morning.

5. Andrea March 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Thank you, Peter, for your nice words about Davy. He is in a better place, so we should not be morbid… My daughter and I loved Davy and we went to see him each year at Epcot. I will never forget that he shook my hand… I wish I had never washed it… He was a fantastic entertainer with a lot of energy, and just so darned adorable! My heart is heavy, but I have wonderful memories… I was okay until I went to his website and heard him singing that love song… way to break my heart… We hope you will be at Epcot again this year, as we always enjoy your shows… You are so much fun and never seem to age… Please say a few words about Davy in your show… I know everyone would appreciate it…. God bless, Andrea H. from Orlando

6. somthingoodsmum March 1, 2012 at 7:16 PM

here is a nice article about davy jones in my hometown newspaper, he lived in oThe death of former Monkees lead singer Davy Jones surprised the Indiantown community he’s called home and has helped for more than 20 years.

Just last month, Jones participated in his annual fundraising event for the Indiantown Education Coalition, “A Groovy Night on The Ranch.” In the last eight years, he helped raise more than $250,000 to support scholarships for local students and grants.

At the Jan. 20 event, Jones signed autographs, sang and told stories about his career. People who saw him that day at Indian River State College, and during the following weeks saw the Jones they had come to know, the good neighbor and joke teller.

Jones, 66, died Wednesday of an apparent heart attack while visiting his 13 horses at a horse ranch in Indiantown. The Martin County Sheriff’s Office released a statement that the singer complained about not feeling well and having trouble breathing before Fire Rescue took him to Martin Health Systems in Stuart, where he was pronounced dead.

An avid horse enthusiast, Jones had been an Indiantown resident since the 1980s. His neighbors could see him working in his yard or taking care of his horses as he did when he aspired to become a jockey during his youth in Manchester, England.

“He was just down to earth. He talked about his kids and grandkids,” said Indiantown Education Coalition community liaison Debbie Banta.

Banta said eight years ago she was looking for someone “semi-famous” to endorse the organization’s first fundraiser when one of her colleagues said he knew someone who worked with Jones’ horses. One day, while she was grocery-shopping, she received a phone call.

“I heard this British voice saying, ‘This is Davy Jones,’” Banta said. She thought it was a prank.

The first time he participated in the fundraiser, he stayed and helped clean up after the event, she said. He sang “Daydream Believer” at every “Groovy Night.”

In a 2006 interview to Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers, Jones said he liked that Indiantown locals got used to seeing him at restaurants and grocery stores. He said his routine consisted of waking up every morning at 6 to exercise and groom his horses, who used to race at Florida tracks.

At the time, he lived alone with his horses, although his four grown daughters would visit often. That changed when he married Spanish TV personality and flamenco dancer Jessica Pacheco in 2009.

Jones was at The Lyric Theatre a week before he died to see a performance by Pacheco’s group, Flamenco Express.

“He looked great when I saw him,” Lyric Executive Director John Loesser said. He met Jones almost 50 years ago at a horse track in New York. At the time, the singer was performing in the Broadway musical “Oliver!” That brought him to the U.S. The two reconnected in Stuart about 15 years ago and Jones performed at the theater many times. Loesser said he didn’t know if Jones had any health issues, but that he seemed like an active person.

Jones was working on a musical piece, Loesser said. Although he was still brainstorming the concept, the plot was about a working-class boy who would do anything to be on stage, a reference to how Jones got into show business.

“He loved musical theater. He wanted to go back to his roots,” Loesser said.

Jones said in 2006 he wished he had bought The Lyric Theatre. He also would have liked to own a restaurant with a stage in downtown Stuart, where he could be seen dining with his wife.

Jones grew up in Manchester, England. At age 11, he answered an advertisement looking for teenagers interested in working on TV and got a role in a BBC soap opera called “Coronation Street.”

His real dream was to become a jockey, but even his horse trainer, Basil Foster, saw his talent and encouraged him to make a living on stage. Foster today is retired in Martin County.

Jones’ first big role was the Artful Dodger in the London production of “Oliver!,” a British musical based on the book “Oliver Twist” by Charles Dickens. A year later, he toured the U.S. with the production and was nominated for a Tony Award.

Jones and The Monkees created hits such as “I’m a Believer” and “Daydream Believer” but were always fighting for more creative freedom to produce and create their own music. The tensions between the cast and producers caused the TV show to be canceled in 1968 and the group parted ways with occasional reunions in the following decades. Jones has said that he and the other Monkees did not keep in touch.

Jones continued acting and made appearances in productions of “Oliver!” and on the TV show “The Brady Bunch.” He also continued racing, breeding horses and performing his music across the country and on the Treasure Coast.

When Jones learned a group of nuns from Hope Rural School, a private school that educates children of migrant workers in Indiantown, lived across the street from his house, he decided to pay them a visit. He regularly stopped by the house to sing to the nuns and to share stories and jokes.

“(The jokes) weren’t always politically correct,” Sister Mary Dooley said, laughing.

The last time she saw him he was cleaning his yard, as usual.

“You know when you have a good neighbor you are comfortable with? That’s what he was to us,” Dooley said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

© 2012 TCPalm. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast
    ur area

7. LisainMiami March 1, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Peter, what a lovely tribute to Davy. Like so many here, I was shocked and saddened by his passing. I never got the chance to see him live in concert, but was fortunately able to see him in a production of Oliver here in Miami about 20 years ago. He played the character of Fagan in the show, and was wonderful. After the show, I met him and got his autograph. He, like you, Peter was a class act and a great guy. He will be missed, but as you and his website have pointed out, we would want us to remember him with a smile and laughter.

Peter, have a fab time on the UK tour and safe travels as well.

8. Yvonne March 1, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I was so shocked to hear of Davy’s passing yesterday! I thought my brother-in-law was pulling my leg when he phoned me from PA. to tell me! And, I was bummed out all day. Davy signed my book last February, 2011 when you and him were appearing together in Greensburg, PA. I am so glad for that. He was a wonderful performer and to sit in the front row and see him was a dream come true…. He and the Monkees and Hermits were such a part of my growing up in the 1960′s. Thanks for posting the 2 pictures of you and him together. He is singing with the Angels now and dancing his way through heaven. Peter, you enjoy your UK tour and be safe and have fun and come back to us here in America. You know that you are loved here!!!!